Application to Sponsor Parents and Grandparents

We will start taking new applications to sponsor parents and grandparents on January 4, 2016 at 8:00 a.m. Eastern Standard Time. There will be a cap on the number we accept. We will not accept applications we receive before this date.
You can now get the 2016 application package on this site.
Table of Contents
Before You Apply
Step 1. Gather Documents
Step 2. Complete the Application
Step 3. Pay the Fees
Step 4. Mail the Application
What Happens Next
How to Contact CIC
Application package

This application package consists of:

an instruction guide, and
the required forms.
The instruction guide is a tool that provides:

the information you must know about this application before sending it to Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) and
assistance with how to fill out the forms and the required supporting documents.
Read the instruction guide thoroughly and then fill out each of the applicable forms.

The forms are specifically designed with questions that will assist the processing of your application.

Symbols used in this guide

This guide uses the following symbols to indicate information of particular importance.

Required step
What you must do to have your application processed.

Important information
Important information that you need to be aware of in order to avoid delays or other problems.

Get more information
Where to get more information.

Tips that will assist you with this application.

Before You Apply
Sponsorship of parents and grandparents

The Canadian government allows citizens and permanent residents of Canada to sponsor their parents and grandparents, but it requires that arriving immigrants receive care and support from their sponsors.

Who may use this application?

This application guide is designed for Canadian citizens and permanent residents of Canada who are 18 years of age or older and wish to sponsor their parents and grandparents.

Whom may I sponsor using this application package?

You can use this application package to sponsor your:

parents, or
What does it mean to sponsor parents and grandparents?

When you sponsor persons who are members of the family class, you must sign an undertaking with the Minister of Citizenship and Immigration (or with the Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion [MIDI] if you live in Quebec).

The undertaking is a promise to provide financial support and basic requirements for the family members you are sponsoring.

Basic requirements are:

personal requirements
household supplies
This also includes other health care not provided by public health, such as eye and dental care.

The undertaking ensures that these persons and their family members do not have to apply for social assistance. The length of undertaking for sponsorship of parents, grandparents and their accompanying dependents is 20 years.

Your obligations as a sponsor begin as soon as the person you are sponsoring and, if applicable, his or her family members arrive in Canada.

Important information: The undertaking is an unconditional promise of support. For example, the granting of Canadian citizenship, divorce, separation or relationship breakdown or moving to another province does not cancel the undertaking. The undertaking also remains in effect even if your financial situation deteriorates.

May I have a co-signer?

Your spouse or common-law partner may help you meet the income requirement by co-signing the sponsorship application. A common-law partner is a person who is living with you in a conjugal relationship and has done so for at least one year prior to the signing of the undertaking.

The co-signer must:

meet the same eligibility requirements as the sponsor;
agree to co-sign the undertaking;
agree to be responsible for the basic requirements of the person you want to sponsor and his or her family members for the validity period of the undertaking.
The co-signer will be equally liable if obligations are not performed.

If your co-signer is a common-law partner, you must submit the Statutory Declaration of Common-Law Union (IMM 5409).

Note: Assets, potential earnings, or assistance from other family members will not be considered.
Sponsorship eligibility

In order to sponsor, you must…

be 18 years of age or older;
be a Canadian citizen, Registered Indian or permanent resident;
be sponsoring a member of the family Class;
live in Canada;
sign an undertaking promising to provide for the basic requirements of the person being sponsored;
sign an agreement with the person you are sponsoring that confirms that each of you understands your mutual obligations and responsibilities;
prove that you have sufficient income to provide the basic requirements for your family members in Canada as well as the persons included in your sponsorship undertaking. You may also have a co-signer.
You may NOT sponsor if you…

are in receipt of social assistance for a reason other than disability,
are in default of an undertaking, an immigration loan, a performance bond, or family support payments,
For more information. See Defaults below.
are an undischarged bankrupt,
were convicted of an offence of a sexual nature, a violent criminal offence, an offence against a relative that results in bodily harm or an attempt or threat to commit any such offences—depending on circumstances such as the nature of the offence, how long ago it occurred and whether a pardon was issued
For more information. See Sponsorship Bar for Violent Crime
are under a removal order,
are detained in a penitentiary, jail, reformatory or prison,

You are not eligible to sponsor if you are in default of a previous undertaking. If you are in default and you submit an application to sponsor, it will be refused and the sponsorship fees that you have paid will not be refunded or applied to subsequent sponsorship applications.

If you are in default of…

A previous sponsorship undertaking

Relatives you sponsored in the past received social assistance or welfare while the undertaking was valid.

You may not sponsor until you repay the full amount of any social assistance or welfare payment or repay the debt to the satisfaction of the government authority that issued the benefit or ordered you to pay.

An immigration loan

You received a transportation, assistance or Right of Permanent Residence Fee (previously called the Right of Landing Fee) loan and have missed payments or are in arrears.

You may not sponsor until you pay all arrears on your loan. For more information, contact Collection Services at 1-800-667-7301 (in Canada and the United States only).

Support payment obligations

You were ordered by a court to make support payments to a spouse or child and have neglected to do so.

You may not sponsor until you resolve the family support matter.

A performance bond

You agreed to pay money to guarantee that an immigrant would fulfil his or her obligations under immigration legislation.

You may not sponsor until you pay the full amount of the bond.

Full article on:

0 replies

Leave a Reply

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *